Hello from my Grandparents’ place! I’m staying with them for the holidays, and wrapping up bloopers from this year while looking at their view from the 22nd floor (which coming from California where everything is flat, I can never get enough of especially at night when the city lights are twinkling!). I had two big goals for 2015 and that was to 1) make dairy free hot chocolate and 2) make pan-fried noodles. The dairy free hot chocolate is still a work in progress (seen blooper #4) but the pan fried noodle came out well (to be a future post).
Without further ado, the bloopers and highlights of 2015 See the 2014 edition here.
- Mystery Vegetable we tried from the grocery store. Not sure what it was, but bitter it was.
- Chocolate coconut no-churn ice cream: That time when I put 2 cups sugar too few, and ended up with ice cream that was not sweet. Also, I recommend getting an ice cream maker, or at least a stand mixer for making ice cream. I made this ice cream with my hand mixer on the whisk attachment, and it took about 20 minutes of whisking to get it to a fluffy consistency (but still not as fluffy as an ice cream maker)
- Green Tea Cookie. Or Soap cookie? It tasted extremely scrubbed up and clean, in a not-delicious way. This was a recipe off one of my favorite cooking magazines, so beware sometimes what you think tastes good won’t be what the editors think tastes good!
- Dairy-free Hot Chocolate – It separated phase and solidified on the bottom after 10 minutes. I was scared to drink it after. What did I do to it ?!?!
- Stew – Did you know if you stew off enough water, your stew will become a block and it literally becomes one solid piece? Lesson to not do med school homework in a different room while boiling food in the kitchen at the same time!
- Attempted condensed milk tea – turns out my fluorescent orange tea that wasn’t very sweet. The condensed milk settles on the bottom unless you mix vigorously, in which case it still settles on the bottom after a few minutes, so it doesn’t add too much sweetness.
- Pretzel cookie butter treats – good in theory but underwhelming in reality. also bonus points, the person I made them for ended up being allergic to the cookie butter that was supposedly dairy free T_T.
- The cake that melted. This was BY FAR my biggest fail of 2015. It’s a red velvet cake I was testing a new frosting recipe on, and cake turned out well but the frosting was horrid. After frosting the cake, it started melting after about 10 minutes until half an hour later it had reached this state! T_T And so was the story of how me, my roommate, the Spork, and his roommate ate this large cake slowly over a week. On the bright side, the cake tasted yummy and you can get that red velvet cake recipe here.
And that’s a wrap for 2015!
Highlights of the year
Caramel Pumpkin Cake – this cake was very yummy and pumpkin-y, plus the fondant pumpkin was very fun to make (tutorial included in link)
Choclate snickerdoodles – these turned out very yummy paired with some milk/soymilk
Nutty Sea Salt Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Our favorite cookie this year: soft and billowy cookie with crunchy nuts and melted chocolate chips scattered throughout.
Avocado Egg Toast – super easy to make, a breakfast classic.
Frappuccino Cupcakes – the fluffy frosting is the yummiest part, I highly recommend these coffee flavored cupcakes!
Happy New Year!