Instead of a recipe today, I’m sharing a tutorial on how I make fondant people. They are very fun to make, and make cute cake toppers. If you want the fondant people to keep their shape extra well, you can use a mixture of 1/2 fondant, 1/2 gum paste instead of all fondant. The gum paste hardens the figures up faster and they stay rock hard after forever (fondant hardens up over time too, but not to the same degree). Just remember if you do choose to work with gum paste, to keep it wrapped in plastic wrap in between steps so it doesn’t harden up and become unusable.
- Make the head and body (detailed instructions in recipe box below)
2. Make the accessories
3. Make the hair
Boy’s hair: Roll out a round piece, and affix to head with water as adhesive
Girl’s hair *hair-flip* <– this fondant girl as long hair
4. Attach the head
Let me know if you have any questions on the steps below! Outside of the cake world, I just finished my rotation in internal medicine, and am on Winter break right now. It’s a great period of R&R after 8 weeks on inpatient wards, and I’ll be updating the blog more frequently during winter break as well – so be on the look out for some new posts
- Fondant (about ½ cup)
- Brown food coloring*
- Black food coloring*
- Pink food coloring*
- Color one wad of fondant about 3 inches in diameter with 1-2 drops brown food coloring (I dip a toothpick in solid color gel, and then run the toothpick through the fondant), and mix till the color is even (should be a light peach after mixing).
- Split the peach fondant into two, and roll each into a ball for the head of the people. Save a small 0.5 inch wide piece of peach fondant to make the arms later.
- Color one wad of fondant about 2 inches in diameter pink with 3-4 drops red food coloring, mixed well. Roll on the table to shape into a cone for the body of the girl.
- Color one wad of fondant dark brown with 5-6 drops brown food coloring. Roll into a tube for the boy's body.
- Roll two pieces of peach fondant into tubes for the legs on the girl. Repeat for the boy, but now roll some dark brown fondant over the arm for the sleeve. Attach to the body with a drop of corn syrup or simply water.
- Make the accessories: Roll out brown fondant and cut to make the collar. Roll out white fondant and make small balls for the girls' pearl necklace. Roll out pink fondant and cut with a spatula to make the bow. Attach accessories to body.
- Take one 2 inch wide piece fondant and add black food coloring until it is black. You will need a lot of drops. Cut out pieces for the hair, and then press onto the peach fondant balls (head).
- Insert at toothpick in the bodies, and then spear the head onto the top of the toothpick.
- Take a clean toothpick, dip in black food color, and make two dots on each head for the eyes.