I’ve started Med school! It’s been great so far, with lots and lots of information, most of it very new and interesting. There are also so many nice people in my class, it’s been really fun getting to know them. The university gave each of us a white coat (with our names on them!) and a stethoscope during orientation. We probably won’t be using either for a while, but its exciting nonetheless!
Since I’ve been very busy so far, I haven’t had time to post pictures of things I made more recently, but … there IS a yummy recipe of reeses kit-kat bars I made not too long ago I’d like to share. There will be upcoming posts on some chocolate chip cookies I made this weekend for a housewarming party, and also recipes on casseroles that my trusty crock pot has cooked up (Since starting med school, I now think the crock pot is one of the most wonderful inventions in the world! That and also the microwavable burrito.)
The main difference is that I added kit-kats in to bring a crunchier texture, and changing up the types of sugars used. I noticed while making this bar it melts pretty easily– every time I touched one for too long, my finger made an indent, and it made chocolaty goo stick on me. It doesn’t change the TASTE of the bars, but I like eating things that are neat and clean, so it helps to cut a small square of parchment paper and place it under the bar before serving. This way people can grab the dessert more easily, and it looks nice and square before they eat it, which I think makes it tastes better!
Before baking, it will look like this:
The white stuff is sweet condensed milk! It is one of the yummiest foods in the world (I can literally eat it straight out of the can like super sweet soup because I like it so much — but won’t, I promise) and gives this cookie a gooey texture. It also helps make beautiful swirls like this:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (microwave works great)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter mini cups
- 1 cup diced Kit Kat bar
- 1/2 can of sweet condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 9x9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil on the inside
- Melt butter in microwave for 1 minute. Let butter cool a little. Add egg, sugars, vanilla to butter and whisk till well combined (1 min). Add flour, baking soda, salt, and stir till incorporated.
- Put half the batter into the pan. Sprinkle peanut butter cups and kit kats. Pour sweet condensed milk over the top (see picture). Crumble the second half of the batter into 1 inch wide chunks and sprinkle it on top.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out without batter (30 min). Edges will look golden and firm. The sweet condensed milk will be jiggly.
- Let cool in the refrigerator until everything is set and firm (3 hours). Lift out using the foil overhangs and cut into squares. Bars will keep 1 week in an airtight container at room temp, and you an freeze them for 3 months!